"I will heal their waywardness and love them freely..." Hosea 14:4

Thursday, October 20

Good days...

Today has been a pretty neat day. Just wanna tell y'all about it. Nothing super special, just a good day.

I woke up feeling at peace with this city today. Now, whether or not that is a passing feeling or not it was pleasant to have. It felt like home today. I have routine. I'm khub aste, aste (very slowly, slowly) learning the language. I don't get disappointed anymore when I go to the store to buy something and it's no longer available , when I order something at a restaurant and they don't actually make that item even though it's printed on the menu (that happens way more than you care to know), or when I buy/order food that doesn't even come close to meeting expectations. I can guarantee myself that each day will have battles and upsets - but the more I expect them, the easier I can deal. I've learned the way of the people...not fully, but I can pretty well know what to expect in certain situations, and I've learned how to cope/handle those ways. I'm beginning to figure this place out. I'm beginning to make my place here. What's sad is that I can only say that now that I'm two months in...what's good is that I have two months left. Right now, I don't want to leave at all. And it hurts thinking that day will come...even though it may bring with it make-up, hot water, baths, days without sweat, delicious cake, little to no public transportation, washing machine/dryer, a bed that I don't have to set up every night, A/C, less bugs, cleaner streets, less stinkage, a trash system, starbucks, beef, and so much more (you get the point). I'm sure a day will come (hopefully by December 29th) that I want those more than I want to be here. But this place is a blessing in a way that I cannot even explain. Watching my "needs" turn to wants has been a beautiful thing. Simplicity is sweet...and I'm not even fully tasting it.

I've been sewing my training blanket since about the 3rd week of this journey. I have 20 lines...about 1/4th of my blanket. Today, I did 6 in 3 and a half hours. That's so slow. And my fingers are aching. These ladies sew like a blanket a day or every two days. So unreal to me. I don't understand how their fingers aren't falling off. But what I'm getting at is:  how cool is it that this blanket that I'm sewing, I'm sewing alongside some stinking awesome women. I realized how blessed I am to get to sit right beside these women and have a taste of the incredibly hard work that they do every day. Hard work that they have chosen for freedom. It is amazing.

By the way...if you have yet to check out these ladies' work, go now. http://saribari.com/

One more thing...I feel so taken care of here. It sorta feels like I have a handful of mama's away from home. My host mom (who I must add is only 6 years older than I...her strength and mature blows my mind) has done more than care for me when I'm sick...from giving me medicine to making hot salter water for gargling and hot water for steam breathing sessions. She's been so grand. She definitely fights for my space on the metro. That woman can hold her own...she will basically put a bubble around me. Everyone else will be squished and uncomfortable, but not me...she's got her arms up like a brick wall. I'm amazed by her daily. Also, some of the ladies at the offices are so precious. So gentle. One of them I think checks on me daily since I've been sick. She will bend down beside me where ever I am and ask "ashutso?", which means "sick?". We go through the body parts...matha (head)? nak (nose)? gola (throat)? with a few yes and no's thrown in there. It's precious. She cares...you can tell. Another lady caressed my face the other day after stepping on my foot. Feet are sorta iffy here...just don't touch anyone's feet...and definitely don't touch them with your feet...don't step over people...take your shoes off everywhere. That sorta stuff. And after she accidentally stepped on my feet, she ever so gently caressed the side of my face and smiled so large to sorta apologize for it...so I'm not offended or anything on that level. That was a sweet moment. Lastly, anytime I am crossing the street with an Indian lady, they will hold my hand and run me across...as if I'm a small child that will just stop and get ran over. Favorite thing ever.

I'm surrounded by great people here. Great women. Loving these days. It doesn't matter how much I fight to make it through the ugly of each day, I'm beyond blessed to be in the presence of these ladies. All of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment