"I will heal their waywardness and love them freely..." Hosea 14:4

Monday, October 24

The splendor of the King

Blessings.

Lately, the thing I've missed most about home is a dang good worship service. My "safe place", where I pretend I am when I need to be anywhere but this city, is standing in the crowd of 5,000 students at A&M at Breakaway...worshiping Jesus. I miss that. I've craved that.

Well, on Sunday I got a little taste. I wasn't in a crowd of 5,000. More like 30. And they weren't college students, they were almost all children aging from 4-15. But it was just as beautiful...or more. The the lyrics to How Great Is Our God by Chris Tomlin were put up on the projector and my heart skipped a beat. As soon as the worship leader started strumming out the tune, I was overflowing with joy. A smile spread all the way across my face and tears filled my eyes. I'm not just a huge crier, but this just filled my soul in a way that I greatly needed. Loved that morning. Loved that moment.

We all sang out:

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God

Age to age He stands
And time is in His hands
Beginning and the end
Beginning and the end

The Godhead Three in One
Father Spirit Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb

Name above all names
Worthy of our praise
My heart will sing
How great is our God

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God


What's cool is that I love this song, but this time it stirred a bit more joy in my heart than usual. As I sang "let all the earth rejoice", I was standing in a church in India. I was standing next to some beautiful children who are so blessed to know the name of our Father, as am I. For the first time, "all the earth" really made sense. It's not just America. It's not just the typical Christian I know from the campus at A&M or my home church. It's every person, every tongue, and every culture that holds a heart for Jesus. All of world rejoices. It was so beautiful. Nothing profound, just beauty. Held a bit more value. And me being in their presence was so grand. These children shouted these words. With full faith. Perfect faith.

Also, I just have to say, it was a great preface for the message that followed and the holiday that is coming on Wednesday. See the part that says "He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide" is affirming for this time of year in Kolkata. Wednesday is Diwali. This puja celebrates the goddess Kali, the goddess of destruction, which is the goddess that has been chosen as the focus of Kolkata. Needless to say, this time of year is dark. The pastor spoke of how it seems there is so much more hurt in these days than others...those faithful to Christ seem to encounter a few more hardships than the rest of the year. It's really difficult to explain, but it can be felt. Anytime a culture chooses to lay down their lives for an idol that is believed to be the face of darkness and destruction, good cannot be the result. Ironically, this holiday is celebrated with light. Fireworks go off all night. Not looking forward to that, but my sleep and schedule disruption pale in comparison to the lack of light that will actually exist in a city being lit up by fireworks all night. The pastor reminded the children that on this night, when they see fireworks celebrating the goddess of destruction, to recall that Jesus is the light of the world. That His name is above all names. He would ask them "who's name is above all names?" and they would every so joyful shout "Jesus!" I loved being present in this moment. It was so powerful.

But I will ask that you be praying for this Wednesday. On your Wednesday morning, my Wednesday evening, this celebration begins. Spend whatever time that morning and all throughout the day praying for this city. For these people. For the believers in this city. The pastor said that he and his family and other believers around them feel the push of darkness. They see it. And he asked that we so intently pray for him, so I'm asking you to do so as well. Pray that the true light be known, somehow, amidst all this darkness. The sky will be bright with fireworks praising a false goddess, but He is brighter still.



The pastor left us with this, so I will do the same:

2 Chronicles 20:15-17
He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.  Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment