"I will heal their waywardness and love them freely..." Hosea 14:4

Tuesday, September 13

Updates all around...

Going to start by asking that you pray for this city. Pray salvation over these people.

Today was the 5th day of volunteering at Shishu Bahvan. Learning more and more each time how to love on these children. It can be very difficult for multiple reasons...my reason today:  one girl who is about 7 years old stuck her tongue out at me and then blew it...making spit fly everywhere over my face, and then she decided to pee on the bench right beside me. I had no idea until a sister was screaming "Auntie!", I looked at her only to see her pointing to my bottom. Yesss...the pee got on me. I was basically sitting in it. It was a lovely beginning to my day. Spit on and peed on by 9 A.M. I escaped to the restroom to tend to myself - cleaned up as much as I could, which included applying germ-x to my bottom and washing my face. Walked back out, somewhat annoyed that I couldn't change for at least another 6 hours, but somehow full of grace and peace about the not so ideal situation. The Lord definitely supplied the patience that I needed in that moment...

I went on to pick up my favorite little girl, Mita. She is darling. No child has a sure diagnosis, so I'm not sure what has handicapped her, but she cannot walk, speak, and is blind because her eyes didn't fully develop. None of this stops this little lady from having an infectious spirit. She was the first child that came up to me on my first day, so I could be biased...but I doubt it - she's adorable. She is the most flexible little thing ever...and can cling to you like a little monkey. She is also incredibly smart...Mita is the only one that can eat and not get food all over her, when you change her diaper - she flips to let you tie it at the back, and when you change her into her napping clothes - she lifts her arms so you can easily take off her shirt and will even put her arms into the top she is changed into. Absolutely precious. Her favorite thing, which I think is very much so a comfort to her, is to place your wrists on her forehead and clap...if you don't do it, she will show you how. Haha. But ...I've yet to see her smile; I've yet to hear her laugh. Well...today was the day! I believe by this point, I may be a familiar voice and she feels more comfortable with me...not sure. But as I laid her down for nap time, I just nuzzled my face in her neck and gave her kisses. She smiled so stinking big and was laughing so sweetly. It absolutely made my day to see this beautiful child smile and laugh amidst the sound of crying children and in spite of all she doesn't have. It was lovely. Humbling.


And side story...
Today, I realized that no one ever gives up their seats for old people on the metros or buses, and I'm not a fan of that. The older people in this city generally look like they cannot continue walking, but do anyways. And it breaks my heart to see them so frail and not have anyone make a sacrifice for them. As I got on the bus to return home, I just really wanted to bless an older person with my seat. I felt like the Lord wanted me to sacrifice my seat - just to be something different in this city. To act in a refreshing manner. There wasn't any older person on the bus and in fact, everyone had a seat...no one was standing. But about ten minutes later, a big group got on. In this large group of people was this very, very old lady with a very weathered sari on - she looked so tender. All teeth were gone, and her eyes were shrunken and glazed over - not sure how she could see out of them. She walked right up to the seat in front of mine to hold on to the pole and looked like she was grasping for dear life - as if she knew she couldn't hold herself up if the bus threw on it's breaks. I knew right in that second the Lord gave me my little old lady to bless. She didn't speak English, but she doesn't have to to understand kindness. I could tell she wasn't expecting me to give up my seat for her, but could read so much thankfulness in her face. It was a sweet moment. I rode on the crowded bus for another hour, standing, and with men all around me...I was afraid but the Lord protected me. He blessed me...felt like there was a little hedge of protection around me - preventing those men from touching me or acting inappropriately. In fact, a man behind me said "thank you for your help." Quite opposite of what I was expecting. Which again, shows me that there is good in this city. Refreshing.


Andddd...the other day with the women was so much fun! It was one of the staff member's birthdays, so they blessed her with a beautiful sari and strawberry cake (that always looks so much better than it tastes...sweets here just aren't cutting it - to give you an idea of their version of a sweet: a sponge ball that taste like string cheese soaked in sugar water...I'm not kidding). And in addition, there was a sassy little dance party. I cannot tell you how much fun it was to see the women dancing - huge smiles on their faces, laughter all around, and a contagious joy. Beautiful day with the women. Love seeing so much life in them...their hope amazes me.




Also, just have to share the most ridiculous video I have seen on the metro TV's thus far. This is insane, but made me laugh so loud. Indian gangsters...they're trouble. It's embarrassing to admit that I thoroughly enjoy this song. It makes me want to dance...a thing that I cannot do in public here. We Americans are already the center of attention where ever we go - I don't need to add to that. Please do watch. And warning: this is not a representation of the people in Kolkata...very, very, very far from it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment